No Make-Up Week
The philosophy is this. Make-up is great. It is a powerful tool, a way to express yourself, your mood and interior life. But, when you can’t go without something, it loses it’s spark.
A study online claims that 8 out of 10 women prefer their female colleagues to wear makeup and the same number of women said they would rather employ a woman who wore makeup than one who didn’t. Because of these expectations, I think it’s hard for any woman to have a good relationship to make-up.
So, I am taking on the experiment to go a week without make-up, to explore my fears and beliefs around make-up and my natural face.
I am curating No Make-Up Week as a blogosphere wide project: September 20th-27th, 2010.
Join me by going sans make-up for as long as you like, uploading a naked-face photo online or just exploring your relationship to cosmetics.
These are the official Rabbit Write No Make-up posts
- Day 1 – No Make-Up Week: The Experiment
- *BONUS* Day 1 Video Diary
- Day 2 – Feeling like You Need it: A Personal Make-up History
- Day 3 – The Toxicity of our Make-up
- *BONUS* Experiment 2 | Test the Toxicity of your Make-up
- Day 4 - Do Men Prefer Women with Make-Up an interview with Duana Welch
- *BONUS* Video: Make-up is Sexual Own it!
- Day 5 – My History with Make-up in Photos
- Why We Wear Make-up: ALLE MALICE’S EPIC GUEST POST
- Day 6 – Dodson & Ross for No Make-Up Week
- *BONUS* No Make-Up Week Participant Interview video
- Day 7 – Best of No Make-Up Week
- *BONUS* The Veritable Rainbow of Naked Face
Selected Articles From Around the ‘Sphere
I’ve invited some of my favorite bloggers to explore their relationships to make-up, here is what they discovered:
- The Beautiful Kind introduces her thoughts on No Make-up Week
- Elisha Rene took the plunge bright and early this morning, beating the rest of us.
- Zoetica Ebb on the No Make-up Week Experiment + Zoetica’s Epic Day 1 post
- Zoetica Ebb on MEN and MAKE-UP
- Zoetica Ebb on Penciling in her Eyebrows
- Zoetica Ebb presents gorgeous make-up photography
- Zoetica Ebb goes out without Make-up!
- Betty Dodson and Carlin Ross’ video for No Make-up Week
- Tavi at Style Rookie No Make-Up Week and cute stuff
- Sally from Already Pretty’s Wise Words on No Make-up Week
- Style Bubble No Make Up Days
- Apricot Tea on No Make-Up Week and her History with Cosmetics
- Alexis Belon: Every Freckle on My Face Where it’s Supposed to Be
- What Possessed Me is up for No Make-Up Week
- So is Jen McCreight ala Boobquake fame
- No More Dirty Looks challenged their readers
- Naked Jen: She gets Naked on the bod and Naked on the face <3
- Eat the Damn Cake on the Cult of Make-up
- Freya from Fish nor Fowl on make-up as a Crutch
- Hersteria’s 1930′s advice for No Make-up Week
- Not an Activist on her History with Make-up and her Hesitation with it’s Chemicals
- I’m a Mom in Real Life: On the “ugly” stage of pregnancy and make-up
- Alle Malice: Who Are you Trying to Impress?
- Alle Malice journals No Make-up Week from NYC
- A stunning No Make-up Post from Cynosure
- Huffington Post Style Section
- Afrobella taking the challenge
- No Make-Up Week: A Man Transformed at The Beautiful Kind
- What IF: I Didn’t Wear Any Makeup? at Medical Marzipan
- No Make-Up Week and Compulsory Beauty Work by Rachel Hill
- Fat Chic on No Make-Up Week
- No Make-Up Days at Beauty Schooled
- Make Up Tutorial Reversed an old video by Rabbit
- In Which: Jess (Finally) Shares her Post-NMUW Experiences by Schiszler Scribbles
- No Make-Up Week at Through the Wilderness
- No Make-Up Week at Bossy
- Putting My Face On
- No Make-Up Week: Day 3 at Tampon In A Teacup
- How To Look Absolutely Gorgeous Sans Makeup at Apricot Tea
- No Make-Up Week (Day) Experiment at Even Pretty Girls Need to Read
- Ladies, Use Your Minds by Ellie at Cynosure
- No Make-Up Week at Auntie Wicked’s Sanctuary
- No Make-Up Week Experiment at Addicted to Blush
- In Which Jess Goes Out Sans Maquillage at SchiszlerScribbles
- No Make-Up Week at Delilah’s Scissors
- Hey do you have measles? at That Fucking Hippy
- Would you go a week without Make-up? From Eco salon
- No Make-Up Challenge at Bikini Birthday
- Barefaced at Emimilk
- War Paint: Joining No Make-Up Week at RJ45
- No Make-Up Week at Beauty Queen Gene
- No Make-Up Week (not a books post, per se) at Black Book Blog
- Why I, a makeup artist and beauty blogger, think you should NOT wear makeup at Beauty School Blog
- No Make-Up Week at For The Lulz
- Verse o Sentirse, he ahí el dilema from Los 40 y sus alrededores (for our Spanish readers)
- Venus Zine profile – The Naked Truth: No Make-Up Week
- Jezebel – The Week of No Makeup
- The Huffington Post interview – No Makeup Week: Women Pledge To Keep Their Faces Bare For 7 Days
- The Frisky – Would you go a week without make-up?
- Allure.com – A Brief Defense of Make-up
- Featured on the You & Me This Morning show on WCIU, Chicago
- Gapers Block – Breakup With Your Make-Up
- Crooks and Liars
- The Facebook Event Page
- Follow the hashtag on Twitter
The No Make-Up Gallery
The beautiful women who took the experiment!
Art Credit goes to Liam at No. 1, Inc. Thanks so much for the amazing images and art direction!